Lucid Mattress Topper Review
While all product recommendations are chosen independently, we may receive compensation for purchases made through our site. Learn more about our affiliate program here.
A key focus for Lucid -- a company with years of experience in the mattress industry -- is providing customers with a diverse range of choices so that each shopper can get the best possible product and value to fit their needs. The Lucid product line includes mattresses of distinct constructions and firmness levels, and they also offer adjustable bases, mattress protectors, bedding accessories, and a range of mattress toppers.
Lucid offers over a dozen topper options. For this review, we’ve broken down Lucid’s mattress toppers into nine categories:
- Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Down Alternative Fiber Bed Topper
- Lavender Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Plush Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Duo-Foam™ Charcoal Fusion™ Mattress Topper
- Down Alternative and Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- 5 Zone Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
These toppers vary in materials and construction and as a result offer distinct performance. For additional choice, many of the mattress toppers come in multiple thickness options. Because Lucid offers so much variety, there is a mattress topper to accommodate virtually any sleeping position, style, or comfort preference. However, sifting through the vast array of options may be challenging.
In this review, we’ll tell you more about each type of Lucid mattress topper and how we expect them to perform. We’ll cover other information that could affect your purchasing decision including pricing, company information, and more.
Lucid Mattress Topper Quick Overview
- Wide variety of topper options
- Various thickness choices
- Most toppers deliver excellent conforming and pressure relief
In-depth Lucid Mattress Topper Review
Lucid Topper Sizing and Pricing
Mattress toppers are usually designed to fit standard mattress sizes. There may be some slight variations between the precise sizes of each mattress topper design, but each Lucid mattress topper should have the approximate dimensions listed in the following table.
|Twin||75" x 39" x 3”||2-4"|
|Twin XL||80" x 39" x 3”||2-4"|
|Full||75" x 54" x 3”||2-4"|
|Full XL||80" x 54"||2-4"|
|Queen||80" x 60" x 3”||2-4"|
|King||80" x 76" x 3”||2-4"|
|California King||84" x 72" x 3”||2-4"|
Note: The 2 inch Memory Foam topper is available in an additional RV Queen size of 80 inches by 60 inches.
Many Lucid toppers are available in multiple thicknesses. The thickness that is best for you will depend on your sleep style and needs. Thicker mattress toppers generally alter the feeling of your existing sleep surface more dramatically, while thinner mattress toppers offer a more subtle change. Similarly, if your existing mattress is quite firm and you’re looking for contouring, you might prefer a thicker topper that allows you to sink deeper into it.
The pricing ranges above for the Lucid mattress toppers are sourced from the manufacturer. This is determined primarily by materials and thickness. More advanced materials generally come at a higher price point. Additionally, thicker mattress toppers usually cost more than thinner options. Prices may vary on Amazon.
Molecule Mattress Topper Performance
Memory Foam Mattress Topper: Lucid’s memory foam toppers are designed to compress to match your body, so they should be able to provide good support without sagging or retaining impressions excessively. This support can help promote better spinal alignment.
Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper: Lucid’s gel memory foam toppers offer similar support to the brand’s traditional memory foam options. The gel memory foam adjusts to the shape of your body to support your spine without excessive sagging.
Down Alternative Fiber Bed Topper: The Down Alternative Fiber Bed Topper offers moderate support. The baffle box construction prevents the fill from shifting excessively, giving the topper a more consistent feel. Despite this, the fiber fill in this topper cannot offer the level of proportional cushioning as Lucid’s memory foam toppers.
Lavender Memory Foam Mattress Topper: Like Lucid’s other memory foam mattress toppers, the Lavender Memory Foam Mattress Topper is responsive and provides a medium level of support without excessive sagging.
Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress Topper: The Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress Topper provides good support to most sleepers. It should be able to provide a sufficiently even and responsive sleep surface to encourage healthy spinal alignment.
Plush Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper: The Plush Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper offers similar support to other toppers by Lucid. However, this topper is designed to be more responsive, so it may offer better support for people who change positions frequently or have sharp pressure points.
Duo-Foam Charcoal Fusion Mattress Topper: The Duo-Foam Charcoal Fusion Mattress Topper has three layers and two different types of foam. These materials work together to provide plenty of responsiveness and overall support to keep your body well-aligned.
Down Alternative and Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper: In the Down Alternative and Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper, these two materials act in concert to give your body support. The fiber fill adds inviting softness while the gel memory foam cushions your body in the places where it’s most needed.
5 Zone Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper: The 5 Zone Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper is constructed with five targeted zones that each provide a different level of contouring. This can help provide better support where you need it most and promote improved spinal alignment.
What Type of Sleeper is Good for a Lucid Mattress Topper?
Because Lucid offers so many options for mattress toppers, most sleepers should be able to find a topper that is appropriate for their sleep style and preferences. However, factors like sleeping position and weight will influence which topper is best suited for you.
Because side sleeping can create sharp pressure points, side sleepers may benefit from a thicker mattress topper. This is particularly true if your existing mattress is too firm and/or does not offer sufficient conforming for pressure relief. Stomach and back sleepers often prefer a stable, firmer surface, so they may not need as thick of a mattress topper. However, a topper that uses a zoned construction may allow the right body parts to sink in more.
Your body weight can influence how you experience a mattress topper. Lightweight individuals often prefer a softer mattress topper, while heavier-than-average individuals may prefer something firmer so that they don’t sink in too deeply. Most of Lucid’s mattress toppers are on the soft side, so they can be better suited for sleepers under 230 pounds. Heavier-weight individuals may still enjoy the added comfort of a Lucid mattress topper, but they should be aware that they will likely sink quite a bit into the topper.
Materials and Construction
A mattress topper’s materials and construction profoundly influence its feel and durability. Learning more about the construction of the Lucid mattress toppers may make it easier to select which is best for you.
- Memory Foam Mattress Topper: The Memory Foam Mattress Topper uses premium open-cell memory foam that offers comfort, conforming, and pressure relief. The topper has a ventilated design for added breathability and cooling. For most people, this topper adds significant softness relative to their existing mattress.
- Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper: This topper is constructed of memory foam that is infused with gel. The memory foam contributes support and conforming, and the gel infusion reduces heat retention. Additionally, open-cell ventilation allows better airflow through the topper. Most models of the Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper do not have covers, but the 2.5-inch version has a removable cover.
- Down Alternative Fiber Bed Topper: The Down Alternative Fiber Bed Topper is composed of a 250-thread-count cotton percale cover and down alternative fill. The fill cultivates the comfort and warmth of traditional down without the associated allergens. The topper uses baffle box construction, which helps keep the fill evenly distributed.
- Lavender Memory Foam Mattress Topper: The Lavender Memory Foam Mattress Topper features very similar construction to some of Lucid’s other memory foam toppers. It employes ventilated foam to offer both breathability and conforming. What sets this topper apart is that the foam is infused with lavender, which can promote calmness and relaxation.
- Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Mattress Topper: Like many of Lucid’s memory foam toppers, the Bamboo Charcoal topper is constructed of open-cell memory foam. This material can hug the body and at the same time reduce the amount of heat built up in the material. The foam in this topper is infused with bamboo charcoal that wicks moisture and regulates temperature to promote a cooler, drier night’s sleep.
- Plush Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper: This topper takes advantage of a different type of memory foam that provides pressure relief, plushness, and responsiveness. Additionally, the gel-infused foam helps with temperature regulation, and the ventilated design of the topper allows cooling airflow.
- Duo-Foam Charcoal Fusion Mattress Topper: This topper is constructed with convoluted foams that have a distinctive egg-crate design. The topper has three layers. The top and bottom layers are a foam infused with bamboo charcoal, while the middle layer uses gel-infused memory foam. Both types of foam are fashioned to regulate temperature, and the layered design is intended to offer comfort and support.
- Down Alternative and Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper: The Down Alternative and Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper is constructed of two distinct layers. The top layer has two inches of down alternative fiber, and the bottom layer is two inches of gel-infused memory foam. The top layer fits over the mattress like a fitted sheet to keep the topper in place.
- 5 Zone Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper: The 5 Zone Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper features convoluted gel-infused memory foam. The topper offers the cooling associated with gel foam with the added benefit of specialized support zones. These zones create a different amount of hug at specific spots on the bed, allowing the topper to provide more targeted pressure relief.
Delivery, Trial and Warranty Information
|TRIAL PERIOD||30-day return window|
|WARRANTY||Varies by topper|
|SHIPPING INFORMATION||Lucid mattress toppers ship free within the contiguous United States. Items usually ship within 24-48 hours.|
|MADE IN||Not listed|
How to Use Your Mattress Topper
Lucid offers a considerable number of toppers, and each can have very slight variations in setup and care. It is always best to follow any instructions that are provided with your mattress topper. These are intended for your specific product, so following them will yield the best results.
In general, you might set up your new mattress topper as follows:
- Move the topper to the desired room while it is still in the box. The topper will be less cumbersome while it is still packaged.
- Carefully unbox the mattress topper, being sure to avoid getting sharp objects too close to it when cutting away the packaging.
- Put the mattress topper on a flat surface away from excess heat and sunlight that could damage the foam.
- Take steps to improve the room’s ventilation, like leaving the door and/or window open. Leaving the topper in a well-ventilated space will allow it to air out and reduce any smell from the foams.
- Leave the mattress topper to expand and air out. This may take up to 48 hours.
- Place the topper on your stripped mattress, use the fitted sheet to hold the topper in place, make the rest of your bed, and enjoy!
Most of Lucid’s mattress toppers can be spot-cleaned. If you choose to do this, the manufacturer recommends you use a damp cloth and mild detergent. Better still, you may wish to use a mattress protector over your mattress topper to prevent it from needing to be cleaned.
Since care instructions vary between mattress toppers, be sure to review the instructions that arrive with your mattress topper. Following the manufacturer’s care instructions can help improve the longevity of your topper.
Customer Service: Owners generally report positive experiences with the Lucid customer service team.
Reputation: Lucid built its reputation around offering a wide variety of mattress options. This broad selection also extends to its mattress toppers.
BBB Rating: The Better Business Bureau gives Lucid a B+ rating.
Years in Business: Lucid started in 2010.
Physical Stores: Lucid does not currently have brick-and-mortar stores.